The first church was built in 1909. The first priest was Father Maurice Pierquin (1909-1913). At his pastoral visit in June 1917, Msgr. Arthur Béliveau, Archbishop of St.Boniface, it was noted that there were 52 Catholic families in Haywood, and some parishioners had to stand outside during Mass, therefore, a new church, the present one, was built in 1919. The notes indicate that the cost was $6,000.00. Father Cyrille Allaire was pastor (1913-1921) then.